Sunday, January 6, 2008

Mediocre Musicianhood

So I would consider myself a mediocre musician. As a Christian I'm called to pursue excellence in everything and that includes increasing in skill as a musician. It just seems I choose to check my email more than practice drums, percussion, violin, and trumpet. May God help me to repent of laziness and start to practice.

In light of the fact that I am currently a self-proclaimed mediocre musician, I consider it a pure joy to play w/ excellent musicians. I remember before I was a Christian I played in a band w/ this guy who could play harmony with two trumpets at the same time. It was amazing. I must have seen this at least 50 times, and every time I would say to myself, "Wow, that's pretty cool."

On Sunday I had the opportunity to play drums while Bob Kauflin lead worship. Bob is an amazing musician and a very godly man. I thoroughly enjoyed participating in worship with a skillful piano player. Thank you Lord for the opportunity.

Here is something I get to play periodically at Covenant Life Church. It is called a Cajon. Mari and I received a DVD wedding present from a friend in Argentina. The artist's name is Jesus Adrian Romero. He is really good. His percussionist played it and I knew I wanted one.
This is the percussion set-up at Covenant Life.
Here is Mari playing brushes on my snare drum. Random note: this will be the last picture with Francisco. He has gone to the place where trees go at the end of the Christmas season ... aka the chipper. Neesham, we'll pretend he's going to Florida with the cows.

No comments: