Saturday, November 17, 2007

Forgetful Friends

Last Saturday I got together with some friends for a little reunion. A few years ago we spent a great vacation in Florida and we now try to keep each other updated in what's going on in our lives by doing these reunions. I love these times!

One thing that I noticed was how each time we get together we always end up talking about how God is showing us how much we need Him in our different "seasons" of life. Single, dating, married, pregnant, no matter where God has us, there is always a temptation to want to find our satisfaction in things, people, etc. But, we always remind each other that the Only One who can fully satisfy is Him. He is our portion! God wants our all, and to be our all! One of the girls was saying how it'd be so much easier to know what God's plan for her life was, and another wisely answered that if she'd know then she wouldn't have to trust God. So true! God is not interested in getting our partial trust, and nor is He interested in being our partial portion. I read the following in Morning and Evening and it reminded me about our conversation:

"The Lord is my portion, saith my soul"
Lamentations 3:24

"It is not 'The Lord is partly my portion', nor 'The Lord is in my portion'; but He Himself makes us the sum total of my soul's inheritance. Within the circumference of that circle lies all that we posses and desire. The Lord is my portion. Not His grace merely, nor His love, nor His covenant, but Jehovah Himself. He has chosen us for His portion, and we have chosen Hims for ours.... The Lord is our all-sufficient portion. God fills Himself; and if God is all-sufficient in Himself, He must be all-sufficient for us. It is not easy to satisfy man's desires...But all that we can wish for is to be found in our divine portion, so that we ask, 'Whom have I in heaven but Thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside Thee.'"


I pray that God continues to use friends like these to remind me of His truths. Girls, thank you for the way you always point me to our Savior and His sweet promises!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Amen friend ;) I love that verse from lamentations. Thanks for the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

Great reminder! I'd never noticed how we always end up talking about that, but it's true! Can't wait 'til the next one! :)